Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pastor Rutherford Apologizes

Last week I posted my review of a video on the history of the Star-Spangled Banner. In the video, Pastor Dudley Rutherford of Shepherd of the Hills Church in California shares a story on the origins of our national anthem that wasn't completely historically accurate. The day after posting my review, Pastor Rutherford contacted me via email and shared his regret that some of the points in his video were a bit misleading.

Well, yesterday Pastor Rutherford posted a new video in which he expresses his regret and apologizes for his video on the Star-Spangled Banner. Take a look:



First, let me say how refreshing it is to see somebody who is sincerely interested in historical integrity. Pastor Rutherford, who is not a professional historian, has more "True Grit" (an excellent movie that you should see, BTW) than many professionals in the historical community. I personally know several historians who could NEVER admit when they had made a mistake because their pride, ego and Ph.D. get in the way. I hope that I can follow Pastor Rutherford's example when I get my history wrong in the future.

Let's be clear here, there are no winners or losers in this debate. Nobody has been proven wrong and nobody is keeping score. This is history, not hockey. Pastor Rutherford's apology is not an admission of guilt but rather a determination to get the history right. And as a result, he comes off the victor. Like I said, I sincerely hope that all of us here at American Creation (and the historical community in general) can learn for Pastor Rutherford's brilliant example. Admitting error leads to growth, persisting in one's mistake only makes the individual look like a fool.

Pastor Dudley Rutherford is no fool.

10 comments:

Brad Hart said...

And for the record, any and all posts littered with even the smallest trace of ad hominem will be deleted. In my previous posts on Mr. Rutherford I let these nonsensical comments stand (to illustrate the ilk of the commentator). In this thread, however, it won't happen so don't try.

jimmiraybob said...

Very good job all around.

Chris Rodda said...

Good for Pastor Rutherford! As soon as I get a chance, I'll post this video if a few places that I post.

Phil Johnson said...

What a rare example of true humility in this age of conceited egoism.
.
My hat is off to this man who has set an example for all honest people to follow.
.
I was deeply moved.
.
I have sent the youtube link to my entire extended family.
.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
.

Mark D. said...

Let me add my voice to congratulation the good pastor for his honesty, integrity and good will in correcting previous misstatements. As you well- noted, Brad, this is example for all of us who write about history to follow. This is a shining example for those of us here on this blog to follow, and I for one am thankful to the pastor for showing the sand to make a public apology.

If I could be so bold, perhaps we might want to provide him with a guest spot here on the blog to discuss a historical topic related to religion and the founding. Not as any kind of reward or anything like that, but I would be interested in reading some of his thoughts on the matter, particular after this impressive display of concern for historical accuracy.

Seriously, I am now a serious fan of this guy.

Mark D. said...

Agh! I meant to write "voice of congratulation" in the first line of my comment above. I tell you, I need to read my comments more carefully before I post!

bpabbott said...

I'm in agreement with everyone else.

Regardless of word-view we can all recognize and appreciate honest and genuine integrity when we see it.

Anonymous said...

I don't share this man's faith and I am certainly sick an tired of the religious right constantly twisting things for their benefit, but let me say that I am so very impressed with Mr. Rutherford's integrity. He makes me believe that there are good and honest pastors out there. I'm the type that would never read anything from a man like Rutherford, nor would I ever attend one of his sermons (I am an atheist) but like your other commenters, I commend him for his integrity, his devotion to history, and his willingness to correct his mistakes.

I too am a fan.

jimmiraybob said...

This is off topic, but John Fea is pointing the way to some Tea Party fun happening around the intertubes.

But then if the topic is the conveyance of history, maybe not so off topic.

Tom Van Dyke said...

This is history, not hockey.

Heh heh. Ace, Brad.