Thursday, November 26, 2020

The First Amendment Never Separated God and Government

Virginia Governor Thomas Jefferson, 1779.  The First Amendment never separated God and government. It left religion to the states.

In the Founding era the existence of God was seen as a plain fact, not just one theory among many.


Resolved, that it be recommended to the several states to appoint THURSDAY the 9th of December next, to be a day of publick and solemn THANKSGIVING to Almighty God, for his mercies, and of PRAYER, for the continuance of his favour and protection to these United States; to beseech him that he would be graciously pleased to influence our publick Councils, and bless them with wisdom from on high, with unanimity, firmness and success; that he would go forth with our hosts and crown our arms with victory; that he would grant to his church, the plentiful effusions of divine grace, and pour out his holy spirit on all Ministers of the gospel; that he would bless and prosper the means of education, and spread the light of christian knowledge through the remotest corners of the earth; that he would smile upon the labours of his people, and cause the earth to bring forth her fruits in abundance, that we may with gratitude and gladness enjoy them; that he would take into his holy protection, our illustrious ally, give him victory over his enemies, and render him finally great, as the father of his people, and the protector of the rights of mankind; that he would graciously be pleased to turn the hearts of our enemies, and to dispence the blessings of peace to contending nations.

That he would in mercy look down upon us, pardon all our sins, and receive us into his favour; and finally, that he would establish the independance of these United States upon the basis of religion and virtue, and support and protect them in the enjoyment of peace, liberty and safety.”

I do therefore by authority from the General Assembly issue this my proclamation, hereby appointing Thursday the 9th day of December next, a day of publick and solemn thanksgiving and prayer to Almighty God, earnestly recommending to all the good people of this commonwealth, to set apart the said day for those purposes, and to the several Ministers of religion to meet their respective societies thereon, to assist them in their prayers, edify them with their discourses, and generally to perform the sacred duties of their function, proper for the occasion.

Given under my hand and the seal of the commonwealth, at Williamsburg, this 11th day of November, in the year of our Lord, 1779, and in the fourth of the commonwealth.

THOMAS JEFFERSON

Text from Virginia Gazette (Dixon & Nicolson), 20 Nov. 1779.

1 comment:

Roy Dimaggio said...

Thanks to Dr  YEMI  for helping me increase the size of my Penis.  I have been married for 5 years and due to my small Penis I was unable to satisfy my wife and that made us childless and my wife planned to leave me I was really disappointed with myself and I was also having weak erection I thought all my hope was gone not until I saw a testimony on how the same Dr YEMI  helped someone increase his Penis size. I was desperate to do anything to regain my sex life back and I contacted him and he promise to help me so I he gave me a herbal mixture which i was using and after three days I began to experience changes. I am writing this testimony not only because he has helped me increase the size of my Penis, I can now satisfy my wife and my wife is three months pregnant. All thanks to Dr YEMI  if you are having a weak erection problem or small Penis size contact him with his email (doctoryemiherbalcenter@gmail.com) or whats app him +2349031989367