Sunday, February 23, 2014

Quote of the day: Thomas Jefferson on federalism and the free exercise of religion

In matters of religion, I have considered that its free exercise is placed by the constitution independent of the powers of the general government. I have therefore undertaken, on no occasion, to prescribe the religious exercises suited to it; but have left them, as the constitution found them, under the direction and discipline of state or church authorities acknowledged by the several religious societies.
-- Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1805.

2 comments:

Tom Van Dyke said...

I'm just listening to this exc podcast with legal scholar Matthew Franck as you posted this

http://www.researchonreligion.org/religion-politics/matthew-franck-on-the-hobby-lobby-court-case

All the history of the relevant court decisions of the past 50 years, and a great overview of the coming SC decision on Obamacare vs. religious freedom.

Mark D. said...

Thanks, Tom. I will give it a listen once I get my desk work done this week!