Sunday, December 12, 2010

Update

I know I've been less active here. I'm not done with American Creation yet. I'm happy to see Mark taking a more active role and wish more AC bloggers would as well. I know we are all (including yours truly) very busy. I don't have kids (one reason why I can produce so much output). But I do teach overloads every semester (21 credits every semester -- though 9 of them are online, which puts my blog fun right next to my "work").

One challenge I face is that I/we have uncovered quite a bit already. I know just about all of the footnotes that one is likely to see in a typical America's Founding & religion book. Taking it to the next level via for instance, original googlebooks sources can be tedious. And much of the stuff I uncovered on things like the debates on the nature of the Trinity and so on bores a lot of folks.

I'm thinking about taking a lot of the stuff I've uncovered so far and transferring it into some peer reviewed published articles and then eventually into a non-self published book. I'm still searching for my novel angle. But I think it will have something to do with America's Founding political theology thru the lens of dissent and heresy within Christendom.

In the meantime, look for more stuff in the future on late 18th Cen. and early 19th Cen. American unitarianism and universalism and how those heretical movements within Christendom influenced America's Founders.

2 comments:

King of Ireland said...

I have been real busy too. But I think that we covered a lot of good ground the last year or so here. I am sure we will find some unique angles to add to that discussion in the near future. I just need to set aside some time once a week to do a post.

Brad Hart said...

I too have been incredibly busy as of late and I apologize for my lack of participation as of late. I think this is a good time for us all to reevaluate where we'd like to see AC go in the future. I for one feel that our best days are ahead and not behind us. Speaking for myself, I am planning on focusing more on the 17th century colonization of the "New World". I believe this is a period that has been grossly underrepresented here at AC and frankly, I'd like to learn a little more about it as well.

Perhaps we as contributors should take the end of this year and decide collectively and as individuals what we'd like to do in the future.